Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #506 (permalink)
Hip-Hop Homework
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Who the **** is saying that? I said hard science, not stuff like string theory (which by the way is noted as theory).

A ton of stuff about our bodies, the air, water, animals, the planet, the sun and moon, the solar system, and the universe in general are cold hard scientific facts. Don't cloud that fact by bringing up quantum theory.

Again, the only people I know who refer to science as a belief system are in denial about evolution.
I fail to see how referring to science as a belief system necessitates denying evolution.

I understand what you're saying but how is that germane?

There is an array of unexplained scientific mysteries, e.g. spontaneous human combustion, the origin of our own universe is still a subject of great debate. So science isn't always cold hard fact, even outside the fields of theoretical sciences. Even in medical fields just for another example.

And proponents on both sides of science and religion seem to think that creationism and evolution must necessarily refute each other. But I don't.

So if you're addressing that because I'm Christian, I can't resolve that curiosity for you.

I recognize science deals with cold hard facts but it also deals with a lot of theory, and that does necessarily require the practice of faith...regardless of how much circumstantial evidence supports the theory, it's still a theory and an expression of faith until it's proven true with no possibility to be falsified. Let's not portray all the fields of study and branches as science as being so firmly rooted in fact. If everything was simply established in fact, there would be no further need for research or experimentation.

The point is while there is certainty in matters that are relatively-trivial (this is subjective) there is little to no certainty whatsoever on other matters in science. So it's not this big infallible force that is irrefutable as science has proved many times throughout the course of history that it needed to redefine the paradigms upon which science's understanding is predicated in many fields.

That's why I say many arrogantly assume we all have it figured out because somebody inna lab coat at the Acme Science corporation says "we have data." I'm not saying you necessarily possess that belief but others do and they seldom question their sources or the methods used to determine a particular conclusion from research. That was my opinion that the presuppositions were borne from arrogance but maybe some assume out of ignorance too. I don't know...that is a subjective statement from me.
Hip-Hop Homework is offline   Reply With Quote