Music Banter - View Single Post - Beginner guitar player, advice, experiences, opinions wanted
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
catfish billy
Groupie

Default Beginner guitar player, advice, experiences, opinions wanted

Not sure if this is the sort of forum for this, but I'd like to know..

How many of you are blues guitarists, or play the blues at all?

I'm self taught, and currently still self teaching with the help of Marty and other YouTube tutors as well as a few friends of mine. They aren't big on blues, mostly rock music and singer songwriter stuff.

So my main question is, for a beginner, are there any good resources for self teaching acoustic blues? Free references are a priority but I am welcome to all information.

For some background I can "read" tabs but haven't reached the point where I can play along with a tab in a timely manner. I haven't mastered barre chords either... I currently try to practice one thing at a time. For instance I have just mastered basic chord changes so I can get the chords for a song and play along. I've got most basic chords down.. The open cowboy chords and the obvious 7 chords (A, E, D, G, C, and B7). I've been practicing lately on finger style and experimenting picking out notes in the chords.

So I've realized I said more than I expected. But anyways,

What should I be practicing as an aspiring blues player and where can I find the information online to assist me?

Also any opinions or comments on beginners and playing you feel I should know or look into. Maybe ways certain excercises helped you, your beginner stories, etc.

Thanks!
catfish billy is offline   Reply With Quote