Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Folk from around the World
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Prog Folk from around the World

´Twas in the heady years of the late ´60s that progressive rockers and folk musicians got together and spawned the sub-genre known as Prog Folk. This fertile union has sired dozens of artists and albums, but strangely, I didn´t find any MB threads specifically devoted to Prog Folk itself. In MB, we have a Prog section and a Folk section, so it looks like the parents have divorced and now live in their separate houses. But what about the poor children? Where are all the artists, whose surname is Prog-Folk – where are they to live?

Well, I propose dividing them up like this: all the English-speaking Prog Folk family can go and live in the Prog forum, where the emphasis might be on their progness. Meanwhile, any Prog Folkers who grew up in other countries can live with their Folk parents here, where perhaps the stress might be on regional folkiness.

So I´m opening up twin threads in which people can share recommendations. This one for Prog Folk from around the world, and a parallel one for English-speaking countries:-

http://www.musicbanter.com/prog-psyc...ml#post1662993

To kick things off, I´d like to post a track by a band I became a fan of last night, those well-known Basque rockers, Itoiz. This is from their 1980 album, Ezekiel:-