Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Domain
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #58 (permalink)
The Identity Matrix
[REDACTED]

No World For Tomorrow - (2007)
Album by Coheed and Cambria

The Review: Number four for Coheed and Cambria is not the most loved, the most talked about, or the highest rated. Well that is all for good reason. The story here is actually the second half of the last album in which Claudio confronts the antagonist of the whole story. I have a love hate relationship with this record. It is so frustrating to listen to it because my expectations for this record were sky high after two excellent releases. The trend of pop over prog unfortunately continues in this record and the edge found on Good Apollo I is fading fast. The two singles off of this album The Running Free and Feathers have great ideas. Both choruses are fun to listen to but in the case of The Running Free "You're in hell" ruins it for me. It sounds cheesy and wrecks the emotional high that the song was running on. It makes me mad because of how much I was enjoying everything else about this track. Feathers just tends to fall into a generic trap with its upbeat verse chorus strategy. The rest of the tracks on here just lose you fast. The Hound (Of Blood and Rank) and the title track are good tracks but nothing standout worthy. Mother Superior feels boring and cheesy as all hell. Gravemakers and Gunslingers is the definition of Cock Rock. It makes me laugh listening to Claudio spout out profanity with no point. The F*** are not given here, I cannot get into it. Justice in Murder is an interesting track that I got into pretty quickly. It had some catchy guitar play and vocal delivery. Then there is The End Complete series. Five tracks of a mixture of pop rock (Radio Bye Bye, The Road and the Damned) to some actual Prog (The End Complete and On the Brink). This set of tracks are actually well paced and interesting to listen to. I enjoyed the whole set. It feels like there is a real goal with this set of tracks and it makes up for the boring and wasteful first two thirds of the album. I am left with a good taste in my mouth and not a terrible one. I cannot forgive Coheed though for trying to be over confident in thinking that unconventional lyrics mixed with boring guitar play and instrumentation can create exceptional prog. They got real lazy with this album it feels like. Not in the play it safe kind of lazy but the I do not need to try kind of lazy. Most people find the album ok, I found it average. Never have I been so sorely disappointed by an album of this magnitude. But it isn't all bad, their are great moments and great ideas, if only they could have been executed in a better way.

No World For Tomorrow receives a 6.1/10

Standout Tracks: The End Complete Series (I, II, III, IV, V), Justice in Murder

Weaker Tracks: Gravemakers and Gunslingers, Mother Superior, Feathers

Yeah this is the lowest point in their discography by far. Execution is everything and it wasn't done well on this album.

Enter the Domain - The Identity Matrix Domain

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on." - David Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just don't piss in his mouth or shove stuff in his dick. He tends to frown upon that.
The Identity Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote