Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Hall of Fame
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
The Identity Matrix
[REDACTED]

Loud yet not proud...

No Kill No Beep Beep by Q And Not U

Year: 2000
Genre: Post-Hardcore
Nationality: American

The Review: I would like to apologize for the late posting. I had to listen to this album nine times through before I felt comfortable writing this review. You see I found this record to be a little different and tough to digest. Maybe it was because of all the distractions in my life pulling me away from the album, but I was having trouble diving deep into this album. Anyway the album is interesting to say the least. It provides no obvious lyrical themes that coherently flow throughout the album. With lines like "Kill me with the favorite comb," I am not seeing much "sense" being poured into these songs. However, when has punk ever been about making sense, thus lyrically the albums doesn't really bring it down. What is special about this record is the instrumentation. That is where this album shines. In tracks like Fever Sleeves and Hooray for Humans I am really digging the guitar work. For the most part I can dig the vocal delivery like on Line in the Sand and We Heart Our Hive, but on tracks like Kiss Distinctly American I find myself being bored to death. That just should not be happening on this type of record. The latter half of the record is all solid without really standing out as much as I was hoping. I feel very indifferent to this record, in fact I do not really feel much at all with this record. With the exception of Kiss Distinctly American I am really enjoying the instrumentation, but the vocal delivery is so spotty on the second half of the record I just can bring myself to get through it. I was skipping tracks at one point just to get to the last track, Sleeping the Terror Code, because I sort of enjoyed it. I feel like this album is squandering quite a bit of opportunity because these guys are talented musicians and the vocals would probably have no problem being improved. I am not sure if I will tackle the other two records these guys put out before disbanding but if I do I will certainly review them on this thread.

No Kill No Beep Beep receives a 6.8/10

Standout Tracks: Fever Sleeves, Hooray for Humans, Sleeping the Terror Code

Weaker Tracks: Kiss Distinctly American, Little Sparkee, Y Plus White Girl

Just not feeling it Tristan. Sorry, maybe next rec will get me going.

Enter the Domain - The Identity Matrix Domain

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on." - David Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just don't piss in his mouth or shove stuff in his dick. He tends to frown upon that.
The Identity Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote