Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Hall of Fame
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #51 (permalink)
The Identity Matrix
[REDACTED]

One step forward twenty steps back...

Tell Me I'm Pretty by Cage the Elephant

Year: 2015
Genre: Garage/Psychedelic/Blues Rock
Nationality: American

The Review: After a wonderful album with 2013's Melophobia, I was awaiting this record. When it was announced I was super excited, then I heard that Dan Aurebach, of Black Keys fame, was going to produce it. Excitement left the building and dread creeped in uninvited. After listening to the discography of the Black Keys, his solo work, and his new band the Arcs, I figured out that Dan couldn't do something different if his life depended on it. While his work is solid, he writes the same thing with every record. I was worried that this fate would befall one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Unfortunately it did. Cage the Elephant have created an album that lacks originality. I have three major issues with this record. First, Matt Schulz, lead vocalist, has just dumped every ounce of energy he ever had in his voice into a bucket and threw it out the window. Tracks like Cry Baby got me excited because it was a change of pace from the other tracks the band has written in the past, less energy a little slower. However, I quickly found that in every song, his voice sounds the exact same. Some of that is due to the production I get that. But come on, its like no one gave this guy a chance to really sing, if that makes sense. Secondly the song writing is very repetitive. From the first single, Mess Around, to Portuguese Knife Fight I hear the same song. The songs are not bad, don't get me wrong, its just the lack of variety is killing me. In fact I do enjoy some tracks like Cry Baby and Mess Around. Its just the rest of the album doesn't stand out on its own. Finally I cannot stand the fact that these guys, or Dan that piece of ****, decided to shove every type of garage/psychedelia/Blues/Classic Rock influence they could find into not one, not two, not three but all ten tracks on this album. Why?!?!?!?!?!? I just don't get it. This band created the most frustrating release of the year for me. Disappointment follows with every single listen, I am sad that I am even writing this about Cage the Elephant. I am going to use my new found blind hatred of Dan Aurebach as a way to forgive this band. I hope they can clean up their act and get back on track for the next release.

Tell Me I'm Pretty receives a 4.9/10

Standout Tracks: Cry Baby, Mess Around

Weaker Tracks: Everything Else

Dan Aurebach, if this is his fault he gets the biggest **** of the year award from me. But If its not then he still gets it because I need someone to focus my anger and disappointment on.

Enter the Domain - The Identity Matrix Domain

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on." - David Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just don't piss in his mouth or shove stuff in his dick. He tends to frown upon that.
The Identity Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote