Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Folk from the Anglosphere
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Probably more Prog and Pop than Folk in this song. Still one of my favorite songs I found this year.
Renaissance - northern lights
^ Haha, yes - that song sounds about 90% Pop to me, Nea, although Renaissance have plenty of undeniably Prog Folk material too. I also have been discovering them this year, and was particularly drawn to one of their best-regarded tracks, Ashes Are Burning. I prefer the more complex, 11-min studio version, but this live clip is a good showcase for the powerful voice of Annie Haslam:-

( For the sake of completeness, here´s an old thread about Renaissance - but don´t expect anything very insightful from it:- http://www.musicbanter.com/prog-psyc...naissance.html )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'm not sure if this qualifies more as prog folk or freak folk (or how different those two genres are), but Richard Dawson has become one of my favourites recently. His guitar style is like a refined Bill Orcutt, which is sort of primitive sounding but still very cohesive and interesting. He's also got a lot of Beefheart's fingerprints on his music, which is never a bad thing imo. Lyrically, I think that he's one of the best out there right now. I think of him as really singular, but if anyone can show me some similar stuff that would be great.
^ This was a completely new name to me, but I loved the guitar-playing and the unexpected opening lyrics. On YouTube I found his Final Moments of the Universe which has some great surreal lyrics. (In answer to your request for sim stuff, I guess you already know about Daniel Johnston, the guy who immediately came to mind as I listened to Nothing Important.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Sandy Denny - Who Knows Where The Time Goes
Sandy was in Fairport Convention, Strawbs, and Fotheringay. She also sang duet with Robert Plant on The Battle of Evermore from Led Zeppelin IV.
^ Yes, that´s a nice version of the song, and at last a mention of Fairport Convention, who are often considered the first and best of the prog or electric folk bands. It´s true that members Sandy Denny, Ashley Hutchins and Richard Thompson later turned up in every English progfolk band that ever was; often greater things, imo, because I´ve found a lot of Fairport´s output to be rather disappointing. Instead of adding rock-band excitement, I thought Dave Mattock´s pedestrian drumming in particular had an overall stiffling effect on their songs. Perhaps that´s because at the time, I was hooked on the much sharper sound of Dando Shaft´s debut, An Evening With.... The problem with DS is that just one year later, with their second album, they´d already lost their special spark.

Anyway, many thanks for everybody´s recs so far. When I started this thread, I thought Prog Folk meant Yes but with flutes, so I have some rethinking to do if it is now going to include all your various ideas!