Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #35652 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
I do hope you included Supertramp, Hawkwind, Procol Harum, and the Moody Blues.
I'm not that up on prog, and I was trying to get this done before the next time I saw him after Christmas, so I did what I could with the knowledge, disc space, and time I had. I also wanted to concentrate on giving a decent taste of what I saw as the most important entry-level bands rather than throwing five million songs by a lot of different ones.

So, no Supertramp, no Procol Harum, and no Moody Blues, but he did get nearly an hour of Hawkwind. I don't pretend that the set was in the least bit comprehensive, or that it was half as good as something done by anyone more familiar with prog, but from a prog noob to a prog ultra-noob, I think I did alright.

CD 1

1. Fates Warning - One Thousand Fires
2. Fates Warning - Still Remains
3. Opeth - Ghost of Perdition
4. Opeth - Blackwater Park
5. Between the Buried and Me - Sun of Nothing
6. Between the Buried and Me - Ants of the Sky
7. Between the Buried and Me - Prequel to the Sequel

Notes: Wanted to do one metal CD, and Fates Warning are one of my new loves. Figured I should add some Opeth (and I actually started to like them by the end of this), and I just had to throw in BtBaM (could have put songs from more than just the one album, but that three-song arc is their peak IMO, so I wanted to have it intact for the purpose of immersion).

CD 2

1. Hawkwind - Master of the Universe
2. Hawkwind - Silver Machine
3. Hawkwind - The Psychedelic Warlords
4. Hawkwind - D-Rider
5. Hawkwind - Paradox
6. Hawkwind - Assault and Battery Part I
7. Hawkwind - The Golden Void Part II
8. Hawkwind - Magnu
9. Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine
10. Pink Floyd - Time
11. Pink Floyd - Money
12. Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine
13. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Notes: Love Hawkwind, so I threw in as much as I could justify, and even though I'm not a Floyd fan, you kinda have to. And yes, my friend is ignorant of Floyd as he has been a hip hop fan for most of his life.

CD 3

1. Rush - 2112
2. Rush - The Trees
3. Rush - Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres
4.-11. The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini I-VIII

Notes: Cause Rush, and I wanted to throw something modern and cool amongst all the 70's worship, hence The Mars Volta.

CD 4

1. King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
2. King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. 1
3. King Crimson - The Talking Drum
4. King Crimson - The Great Deceiver
5. King Crimson - One More Red Nightmare
6. King Crimson - Starless
7. Genesis - Supper's Ready

Notes: Yeah, I skipped the entirety of KC's mid-period 70's career, but I highly doubt my friend would have had much interest in that kind of self-indulgent, jazzy **** (I certainly don't), and those three albums I put for tracks 2 through 6 are from three of the weirdest and most creative prog albums I've heard yet, so I just had to spam them. And even though I could give a **** about Genesis, I guess you just have to, so I threw them a bone.

CD 5

1. Yes - Roundabout
2. Yes - South Side of the Sky
3. Yes - Close to the Edge
4. Yes - The Gates of Delirium
5. Anacrusis - Sound the Alarm
6. Anacrusis - Sense of Will
7. Anacrusis - Grateful
8. Anacrusis - Brotherhood?

Notes: Yes, of course, and while anyone familiar with Anacrusis is likely confused as to why I would include them, not to mention right after Yes, I just love them and was literally finalizing and burning these albums the day I was supposed to meet up with my friend, so I just threw them in on a Whim. And some 80's prog thrash provides some nice diversity, especially after an hour of Yes. Not sorry.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote