Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is classical advertised as relaxing?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
chopinisawesome
Groupie

Quote:
Because it works well as relaxing background music.
Sure it's kind of a waste to listen to it that way, but most people aren't all that interested in the finer details of a composition, no matter what genre.
No reason to get upset about that.
A lot of times that is true. When I listen to classical, I have a couple of options. I can listen to it actively and work to feel the emotion the composer was trying to communicate, or I can let it fade to the back of my head as I work on other things. Good point.

But... I think you're sort of missing the point. I'm not frustrated with the fact that people don't really want to spend the time and effort to learn all about classical music, I'm frustrated with the fact that the supporters of classical are calling it relaxing sleep music, which is just another way of calling it boring and will likely dissuade people from learning more about it and cause them to trivialize it and lump all classical music in with that category.

For that matter, there are some pop fans I know who can name the entire list of albums an artist has produced, sing half their songs from beginning to end word for word, name the artist's siblings, favorite color, favorite food, etc. People absolutely care enough. When they start talking about how they like so-and-so and how they're the best band in the world, and I say I don't know who they are, they act like I'm an idiot for not knowing how supposedly great their music is. If I started telling them about Chopin and how I think he was the greatest composer to walk the planet, they said, "Who's that?" and I acted the same way they do when I don't know the band they're talking about, I would immediately be singled out as an elitist snob. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to belittle what you're saying, I just think you're missing some things.

Last edited by chopinisawesome; 12-27-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Still learning how to use the programming code...
chopinisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote