Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is classical advertised as relaxing?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopinisawesome View Post
But... I think you're sort of missing the point. I'm not frustrated with the fact that people don't really want to spend the time and effort to learn all about classical music, I'm frustrated with the fact that the supporters of classical are calling it relaxing sleep music, which is just another way of calling it boring and will likely dissuade people from learning more about it and cause them to trivialize it and lump all classical music in with that category.
I don't think anyone who is seriously into classical music sees it as just that.
As to why casual listeners describe it that way, I've already answered that. Because it works well that way.

Quote:
For that matter, there are some pop fans I know who can name the entire list of albums an artist has produced, sing half their songs from beginning to end word for word, name the artist's siblings, favorite color, favorite food, etc. People absolutely care enough. When they start talking about how they like so-and-so and how they're the best band in the world, and I say I don't know who they are, they act like I'm an idiot for not knowing how supposedly great their music is. If I started telling them about Chopin and how I think he was the greatest composer to walk the planet, they said, "Who's that?" and I acted the same way they do when I don't know the band they're talking about, I would immediately be singled out as an elitist snob. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to belittle what you're saying, I just think you're missing some things.
I was talking about composition and how some people are more interested in it than others. What does all that have to do with it?