Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is classical advertised as relaxing?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #35 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopinisawesome View Post
Well... not really. It wasn't that long ago when other musical genres started to take hold. Before then, classical was the big thing. I'm pretty sure classical music spans more centuries than all other musical genres combined. Of course, by classical, I am referring to all periods (baroque, classical, romantic, etc.) not just the classical period. I wouldn't say that classical "doomsday prophets" who predict the death of classical are right, but there has been a decline in popularity in the last century or so.
Even in its heyday it was the music of the upper classes. A pretty thin slice of a population which mostly still prefered simpler, catchier folk music.
And even those upper classes probably listened to it more because it was hip and trendy, or as functional music for socializing (crowds at concerts back then were notoriously chatty and rowdy), relaxing and dancing. And you, as we know, wouldn't approve of that.
I'm not saying there aren't fluctuations in popularity, but the music is going nowhere. So sit back in a comfy chair, put on some relaxing Chopin and stop worrying about ridiculous stuff.