Music Banter - View Single Post - Hip native american music thread-
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by levio_sah View Post
Hello! I am Native American, and I listen to a lot of Indie, Alternative, and generally hip music, so I decided to create this thread for people who are looking for Native music that isn't traditional or new-agey. There aren't that many big artists out there, unfortunately, but I will tell you of some that I have discovered, and if you know of any, big or small, any genre, please feel free to post! (Oh yeah, and also, by Native American I mean native to either North or South America. Indigenous music from what is now known as Australia/New Zealand is also okay on this thread, but beyond that, please post somewhere else.)

So far, these are the top artists I've found:
1.Blackfire- A Diné Punk band that blends traditional music , Alternative and Post-Hardcore. Very political, but they aren't preachy and zealous like some punk bands; their messages come from the heart.
2.Mariee Sioux- A really great Native woman folk singer. Connected to the "New Weird America" (aka Freak Folk) scene, she weaves mystery, melancholy, and off-beat poetry into her quiet, echoing folk tunes, often accompanied by native flute.

Okay, I know it's stupid to start a list with two things and then leave, but I gotta go, more very soon!
Good stuff. I like both the punk and folk artists.

Here's a Native American crust punk band I use to listen to (not sure if there still around) Some of there members went on to reform the grindcore band Terrorizer

William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote