Music Banter - View Single Post - Forum Member Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #143 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Damn. That last track is the best one on the album you big cheater baby.

It was supposed to be an opener to the album, but in an editing fluke, I accidentally opened up with all of the tracks playing at once. I liked the outcome so I kept it and made the original the closer, hence 'stripped'. Also, please get an acoustic guitar and make some not music, I'll be the first to buy your album if you think you can do it well.

Thank you for not inventing positive things to say and keeping it honest though.
Well now, considering you thought I'd only have a problem with track 1, I'll just say you may have been underestimating my potential for not liking your album. I will say though, I was tempted to go downstairs and leave it playing, but I resisted that impulse and listened to it all, bar the last track. TBH, if I hadn't been facing another fourteen minutes of music I hated maybe I would have done the closer, but a man can only take so much.

As to the guitar, I couldn't; I know, I tried. Couldn't even press down the strings without wincing in pain. But I managed melody of a sort on my synth, and in fairness, mine is terrible but it is recognisable. It relies on the inbuilt sequencer and the rhythm patterns that came with the machine but it does sound like music. To me, what you did just sounded like someone messing around who didn't know how to play. I'm not saying you don't --- there's probably deep meaning in their somewhere that a musician or someone into this sort of thing would get --- but that's how it sounded to me.

I hate putting down people's music: I really wish you would write something I could praise, or at least enjoy. But at the same time I won't pretend to like something I don't. I'm sure you put a lot of love and time into your music (or maybe you just got drunk/high/both) and it means a lot to you, but I could get nothing out of it. I've put my "music" (and it's really, really stretching the term to call it that) on the forum members' music thread, if you want to check it out. It's awful, it's derivative, it's a few chords played over with a melody and a few different instruments. You'll hate it I'm sure. But it is music. If you played it to the average man/woman/thing from the black pit in the street, they would probably laugh and say it was terrible but they would have to admit it was music. Have you ever tried yours out on people you didn't know, like strangers? I'd just be interested to know what people in a neutral standpoint think of it.

Not that any of this will stop you making music, nor should it. But I doubt there's ever going to be any chance I would get it. Sorry.

Am I banned?