Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #2461 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: The Downward Spiral
Artiste: Nine Inch Nails
Genre: Industrial Rock
Familiarity: Have heard of them, but nothing by them
Recommended by: TechnicLePanther

Expectations: Industrial is not a word I like to really hear connected with music: always gives me the impression it's going to be cold, metallic, hard, soulless. But I really don't know. This is TLP's third attempt at this rec, after first suggesting a double album with 45 tracks, and then one I had already done, so I had better make sure I do a good job on it!

1. Mr. Self Destruct: Starts with just a drum, nothing else, just one drum which goes on for about thirty seconds, getting faster until the rest of the band joins in and the song takes off. Kind of what I expected; raw vocals, sharp guitar, edges of punk or some sort of metal in there. Not mad about this at all. Big surprise, huh? Suddenly stops in the middle for a really soft and gentle guitar passage, but this ain't my first rodeo guys: you're not fooling me! Yep, there it goes back to the original beat. Meh. And a lot of pointless feedback to pad it out to the end.
2. Piggy: This will no doubt be a tender love balla --- huh? It's actually laidback, soft, at least for now. Think it might stay like this? Do I ****? Hmm, well what do you know? Maybe I have a nephew who's a monkey! It remained that way all through. That was pretty okay really.
3. Heresy: Now it's like some eighties new wave band, changing to a kind of metal feel as it goes. Not too bad though I have to admit. Much better than the opener. Cool guitar riffs. Vocal is actually quite good.
4. March of the pigs: Fast and frenetic but somehow fun. I tell you, so far, the opener aside, I'm enjoying this a lot more than I had expected to. That piano part was unexpected.
5. Closer: Really like the slow techno percussion here (I guess you'd say industrial, but it's pretty cool); vocals are great and it really swaggers along. Am I getting into this music? Is that what's happening?
6. Ruiner: This has a really good groove to it. Haven't heard anything I've loved yet, but getting closer. Great work on the guitar there, and a nasty little bassline. The synth powering in near the end is very effective. **** it, I'm going Green on this one!
7. The becoming: The mad sounds, screams, mechanical stuff works really well here, even though it sounds a bit of a mess, it adds to the feel of the song.
8. I do not want this: Kind of funky guitar here, reminds me of what little I've heard from RHCP. Great drumming, like the whispered vocal, then the sudden explosion of rage. Another Green.
9. Big man with a gun: This is short and somewhat frenetic, with a great jumping synthline. Like it.
10. A warm place: This on the other hand is very ambient, at least at the beginning. Yeah, stays that way. Really lovely. Getting a few Greens now.
11. Eraser: Almost an Indian feel to this. Think it's all instrumental. Oh wait, some vocals just came in in a really, really abrupt change. Yeah, kind of ruined it. No Green for you, my son!
12. Reptile: Good restrained, sort of ticking start, then it kicks up on heavy percussion, and strides along really powerfully with an aggressive vocal and snarling guitar.
13. The downward spiral: Again starting low-key with some loops (?) and soft guitar, turns a bit mad and kind of expressionist later on. It's okay. I don't think I can Green it though.
14. Hurt: Dark and ominous, suits the title. Good closer. Interesting ending. Liked that.

End result: Enjoyed that a whole lot more than I had expected I would. Didn't like every track, but there was nothing on it I really hated and it quite surprised me to be honest.

So, Love or Hate? On balance, I think I'd have to give it a Love.