Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Prog looking forward, Grim?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 07:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tributary Records
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I struggle to see how this could be the case. I honestly dont' understand what they're saying. If they mean just make music on computer, fine, but that's electronic/ambient music, not prog rock.

I'm with this guy, as above. He MAKES his own instruments!

Again, I don't see what you're saying. You're advocating the idea that just because say Blackmore was classically trained that the older generation suddenly afforded him validity, and ignored the fact he wore leather trousers and had long hair, and played one of them eel-ek-tronic gee-tars instead of an upright bass like most normal folks??

x2
There are plenty of kids trying to make prog rock on their computers. There are all kinds of drum kit programs, bass, guitars, keys… everything. They try to construct it, and often do, all on a laptop without ever learning an instrument.

What it lacks is the human feel and touch (and there are now programs for that as well).

An instrument vibrates when you play it in real time. That vibration affects the way you play and what you are playing. The computer doesn't do that. It lacks vibration.

If you can't do it live, you're just pretending. There is a lot of pretending going on.
Tributary Records is offline   Reply With Quote