Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Domain
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #65 (permalink)
The Identity Matrix
[REDACTED]

The Running Free - (2007)
Music Video/Single by Coheed and Cambria

Sorry for the delay on this one. I really can only attribute it to the holiday rush and other responsibilities taking precedence. New Years resolution: get back on track with reviews for this journal and my modern release/requests review thread. Anyway this was the first single off of the No World for Tomorrow record that split the fan base a little. I was on the side that felt it was missing quite a bit of the excellency that their past few records contained. I do like this song. Quite a bit actually. In fact it is probably one of the better Coheed singles for me (bar the stupid "You're in hell" line at the end of the chorus.) It has tons of energy, decent lyricism and some catchiness that will last a long time in ones head. But that's pretty much it. I don't really care for the musical style here when it comes in comparison to what I feel like a Coheed song should sound like, (in context with the album). It does what it needs to in the story but it doesn't push it in an interesting way. This song overall is a great single, but as a song/piece in the grand scheme of the Coheed discography, I am sorry but it's lacking in quite a few departments.

The music video is cool though. I really enjoyed this one. It opens with a lot of sci fi stylings for a laboratory experimentation type situation that leads into a troubled Claudio (who I believe represents Coheed in this situation) trying to escape from an incubator and eventually the lab. Combine this with a pretty cool performance of the song, and the flashbacks to a mysterious Kimono girl and you get a pretty cool music video. It gets close to an almost sinister/horror movie style with some of the flashbacks being old home videos or old baby dolls. The climax during the final chorus where she enters the lab is pretty intense due to the energy of the song. I am really digging what they did on this music video. Especially when one compares this one with previous ones. Hint: the Suffering. When Coheed can create a fun and interesting idea and combine it with a pretty good single then you get a great video. This is probably top 3 material in my book at least for a music video by them. Definitely check this one out.

The song gets a like and the video also gets a like. Not enough here to give it a meh or dislike in the form of cons.

Listen to it yourself and give me your opinions. Like it? Dislike it? Why?

Enter the Domain - The Identity Matrix Domain

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on." - David Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just don't piss in his mouth or shove stuff in his dick. He tends to frown upon that.
The Identity Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote