Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you feel that Boston is overrated?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Basil C. Thurston III
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
Radioplay shouldn't affect the quality of a song. The song can't help it if people decide to play it all the time.
It does. It's human nature to tire of sameness. If you ate the same exact meal every day for a week, you might get tired of it. If you watch the same movie over and over, you will get bored with it eventually. No different with music, IMO, in that the more you hear a song, the more likely you will no longer notice what attracted you to it to begin with. The gimmick wears off, so to speak.
I worked as a DJ at a Top-40 radio station in the 80s. I worked 6 hour shifts, and had a playlist that was basically this: play the top 10 songs 3 times a shift, the top 20 twice a shift, the top 40 once a shift, and fill in between with "oldies" or songs that were off the charts. I remember one night in 1984, when Huey Lewis was at his prime, with the album "Sports" and the Back To The Future soundtrack. I played Huey Lewis 9 times in one shift. He had a song in the top 10, he had two songs in the top 20 and 4 overall on the top 40, plus he had 3 songs that were in the oldies rotation. Every hour, I played at least one Huey song, and in a couple, I played multiples. He had a song on the top 40 charts for over a year straight, and i grew to hate Huey with a passion. To this day, I own a copy of Sports that has never been played. The repetition of playing those songs over and over made me hate them. It's one of the bad things about being a DJ- you grow to hate some of the music you HAVE to play.
Basil C. Thurston III is offline   Reply With Quote