Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Hall of Fame
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
The Identity Matrix
[REDACTED]

What a wonderful style...

Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu Tang Clan

Year: 1993
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap
Nationality: American

The Review: Considered an absolute classic by many, Enter the Wu Tang has appeared on so many "best of" lists that really its become quite the enigma. I get a strange nagging feeling that this album was put on all of those lists due to its age and release time rather than its artistic merit. Don't get me wrong, I have a dozen reasons why I consider this album a classic (spoiler alert: I have heard this album before) but I feel that better records have been released in this genre since then and they still do not get as much praise. 2000's MF DOOM for example. I guess what I am getting at is that this album looks to be a bit overrated based on the fact it wasn't released in the 2000's. Moving on, I truly enjoy quite a few tracks off of this record. The organic beats behind the verses serve to be some of the best of the time. Tracks like Method Man and Protect Ya Neck are two of my favorite rap songs from the early 1990s period. The whole concept behind the record and the real progression of the tracks equate to a very smooth listening experience. I do find that the second half of this record shines a bit more than the first. C.R.E.A.M and Tearz combined with the aforementioned Method Man and Protect Ya Neck and that wonderful finisher the Wu Tang: 7th Chamber/Conclusion is the strongest back half of any rap album period. The first couple of tracks though like Bring da Ruckus and Clan in Da Front aren't really doing it for me. I guess its the flow of the narrative in these tracks that seem a little boring to me. Narrative is key for me when it comes to hip hop and rap and this album can sometimes struggle with that. I feel I may be a bit ignorant to the subject matter of the album, gang violence and society of that time, but I won't hurt the album for it. Instead I praise it for tackling such issues and weaving a narrative that listeners could easily follow. It's cool to think about. My gripes with the album is simply based in the ability for me to get into the early songs off of the record. Its tough for sure, but the strength of the second half of the album make up for that in a huge way. I enjoy this record a ton whenever it gets a spin here so I appreciate the rec.

Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) receives an 8.5/10

Standout Tracks: Method Man, Protect Ya Neck, Wu Tang: 7th Chamber/Conclusion

Weaker Tracks: Bring Da Ruckus, Clan in da Front

A classic to some but a great record to me. Welcome to the Hall of Fame DwnWthVwls

Enter the Domain - The Identity Matrix Domain

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on." - David Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just don't piss in his mouth or shove stuff in his dick. He tends to frown upon that.
The Identity Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote