Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Hall of Fame
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #56 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
The first couple of tracks though like Bring da Ruckus and Clan in Da Front aren't really doing it for me. I guess its the flow of the narrative in these tracks that seem a little boring to me. Narrative is key for me when it comes to hip hop and rap and this album can sometimes struggle with that. I feel I may be a bit ignorant to the subject matter of the album, gang violence and society of that time, but I won't hurt the album for it. Instead I praise it for tackling such issues and weaving a narrative that listeners could easily follow. It's cool to think about.
They might be considered a gangster rap group, but I see those as trimmings on an old school, 80s rap group who just raps about how they can rap better than you. They've got the odd song that's about social issues, but by and large they don't have much to say. Lyrically, they're just about having fun with wordplay.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote