Music Banter - View Single Post - Guns N Roses reunion confirmed
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #61 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
So, you're gonna play the tech vs. feel card eh? All I know is **** GnR. Can't stand em. I do however love quite a few songs that Winger did, especially their later stuff.

I'm a guitar player, so this is a bit biased, but here's one good example of my stance on this:

It's funny how everybody creams their pants over the guitar solo in November Rain when it's just Stash bending a note to a minor, and then there's Reb's work on Witness that had gone mostly unnoticed because it didn't get any limelight. In my personal opinion, this outro solo is one of the most soulful and emotional guitar solo's I have ever had the privilege of putting into my earholes. It's got more feeling in just a few tremolo bends than any of Stash's phoned-in crap.

Starts @ about 4:00
Sorry man, this Winger song doesn’t do anything for me. I hear that the guy has technical ability with a guitar but he’s not playing anything that hits me emotionally or interests me in any way. Kip’s voice is as bland as I remember it. The drums and bass take such a backseat that there really isn’t much to say about them. And the keyboard at the beginning is flat out awful. More importantly than the individual pieces, the song itself doesn’t do anything for me.

I’m not here to defend Slash—I think he’s kind of one trick pony who hasn’t done anything worthwhile since the heyday of G’n’R. I’m saying G’n’R worked not as individual pieces, but as a whole. They were more than the sum of their parts and they made some great music at one time.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote