Music Banter - View Single Post - Guns N Roses reunion confirmed
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #88 (permalink)
Basil C. Thurston III
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Just because you like one band from a genre doesn't make them not a band from that genre. They were formed from members of two glam metal bands for god's sake.
You asked what separated them. I answered talent. You appear to think GNR is a "glam band". Big difference between being a glam band and being influenced by them. Don't know if you're old enough to remember, but Elton John was called glam. Abba was called glam. Bowie was called glam. Ian Hunter was glam. The Tubes were called glam. So were Alice Cooper, Slade and Sweet. Bay City Rollers, Brian Eno, Sparks and Roxy Music also got that title. Can you not see that it's not the music, it's the on-stage style? Glam had nothing to do with the music, it was an image, or a look. I don't base whether I like a band on whether they dress a certain way or not, I have always realized that looks don't necessarily translate to talent. GNR was a talented band on a level that wasn't approached by many other L.A. bands at the time. Many got signed simply because they were in the scene, not because they were great musicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
So, you're gonna play the tech vs. feel card eh? All I know is **** GnR. Can't stand em. I do however love quite a few songs that Winger did, especially their later stuff.

I'm a guitar player, so this is a bit biased, but here's one good example of my stance on this:

It's funny how everybody creams their pants over the guitar solo in November Rain when it's just Stash bending a note to a minor, and then there's Reb's work on Witness that had gone mostly unnoticed because it didn't get any limelight. In my personal opinion, this outro solo is one of the most soulful and emotional guitar solo's I have ever had the privilege of putting into my earholes. It's got more feeling in just a few tremolo bends than any of Stash's phoned-in crap.

Starts @ about 4:00
So you hate GNR but you came to a GNR reunion thread to wax poetic about Winger? Makes sense, lol.
Basil C. Thurston III is offline   Reply With Quote