Music Banter - View Single Post - Power Pop That Is Not Called Power Pop But Still Is Power Pop Cause **** You?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I don't consider the Police as Power Pop, they started out during the Punk movement and had Jazz, Raggae and New Wave influences. Huey Lewis & The News was more an early Rock n Roll/R&B and 80s Pop blend. Yes always changed their sound, maybe when Trevor Rabin was involved they were much more Poppish but I don't see them as Power Pop. The Jam would be a more likely candidate since they went from Mod to R&B in sound, and a few songs in between could be Power Pop. Maybe even XTC, they did songs with a Power Pop edge.

These are bands that have more or less recorded Power Pop songs, or incorporated Power Pop into their sound
Badfinger
Raspberries
Big Star
Nick Lowe (Rockpile)
The Boys (UK band)
The Knack
The Romantics
The Smithereens
The Replacements
The Outfield
Andy Bopp (Myracle Brah, Alto Verde)
Huey Lewis & The News definitely weren't a pure power pop group: you just hear the influence in some of their key singles. As for Yes in the 80's with Trevor Rabin, they leaned heavily towards power pop with regularity. You hear it especially on stuff like 'Rhythm Of Love' and 'It Can Happen', but kudos for that list. I have no complaints.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote