Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Listening List 2015/2016
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #111 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Bloodmoon Rising – Night 4
Artiste: Steve Roach
Year 2015
Nationality: American
Familiarity: Noob
Genre: Ambient

Expectations: I may have bitten off a little more than I can chew here. Seems Bloodmoon Rising is a four-CD album, comprising Night 1-4. The one I have is Night 4 (which, for some reason, was sold separately) and seems to be all one track, as indeed are the other three. So, we may be in YorkeDaddy Heaven, but possibly difficult to review?

It's one track, so I'm obviously dispensing with the usual colour-coded track lists. This thing runs for over an hour, so it's not surprising that it comes up very slowly, darkly and kind of with an ominous feeling; we're two minutes in and nothing has really happened yet. Dark, droning synth and what could be muted percussion. Holy Lord above! EIGHT minutes in and it still hasn't changed! Mind you, there is time, but this is one slow buildup, if anything is coming out of it. And now it's twelve minutes old and still nothing new has happened. Oh! Twenty-three minutes in and now there's a spacy synthy sound growing, the music is getting louder though still relatively gentle, and there's a choral vocal of some sort coming into the mix. Taken a long time to get here though.

It's hard to even get a sense of being able to review this, as it's really, really, really ambient and kind of much of the same all the way through so far, as we come close to the halfway point. It's very spacey, very new-age and very atmospheric, but I'm finding it hard to break it down in any way. Good background music I'm sure, probably great to fall asleep to. Other than that, don't know at this point. Okay, well it's basically over now and all I can say is it was ethereal, ambient, soft and gentle, lulling, relaxing, dreamy but there's nothing specific I can pick out about it musically. Best I can say is that it gave me the feeling of floating weightless through the trackless boundless depths of space. And that can't be bad really can it?

Final result: Not a lot more to say really. I'd listen to it to relax to or go to sleep as I said, but it's like an organic, slowly growing and evolving entity that just kind of ... keeps going without terribly much of a change. Very pleasant though.

Rating: