Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Prog looking forward, Grim?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #84 (permalink)
Tributary Records
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You leave Frown .... oh. Batty beat me to it!

It's incredibly insulting to the bigger prog acts (acts Batty would probably happily drown) to say nothing decent has emerged since the seventies. Hugely narrow-minded and, if he's basing his opinion only on the submissions he receives, then he has no right to comment on the state of prog. What about the bands who don't go near his little label? Are they crap just because he doesn't manage/represent them??

You can say prog is good/bad but you can't make an umbrella decision on how it's faring, just because you don't happen to like what you hear.

Yeah, to you. From one terribly limited and specific source. Do you not listen to any of the more popular prog? Have you even heard of Progfest?

Please shut up about Pro Tools. How do you know bands like Spock's Beard, Arena, Marillion, Porcupine Tree et al are using them? You don't. You're assuming. And even if they are, they're not using them to MAKE their music. They can all play, which is something you are deliberately avoiding, as you have never once responded to my pointing this out.

God I hope not, with your terrible attitude and arrogant opinions. I don't like it, therefore the whole genre is in decline?

Maybe the Bolivian Navy on manoeuvres in the South Pacific?
The point is that the 70's and before was a completely different way of going about things. The protocol of analog tape recording IS a way of going about things. The process is very different. The digital age enabled a lot of musicians who lacked certain musical skill sets to enter the game. This does have a downside.

For example we have had several if not many artists attempt to record in our studio and they simply can't cut it. They know it, we know it. They just can't get it done without major assistance from things like Pro Tools or other programs which offer endless digital manipulation options.

So to stay on topic here, the majority of prog bands that we hear have jumped on that bus, and while some of them CAN certainly get it done, many cannot live, so where in the past a great band could really stand out and get the attention of the music public, it's much harder for them to do that with recordings because the process has become so homogenized and modern releases are expected to have seamlessly slick production values. But the more processed it becomes, the more sterile it often sounds.
Tributary Records is offline   Reply With Quote