Music Banter - View Single Post - The Identity Matrix Hall of Fame
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #60 (permalink)
The Identity Matrix
[REDACTED]

What a way to start 2016...

Blackstar by David Bowie

Year: 2016
Genre: Art Rock/Progressive Jazz
Nationality: English

The Review: I am a big Bowie fan. I just wanted to preface this review with that in case you want to take my review with a grain of salt or not. I try to be as unbiased as possible so bear with me on this one. From Aladdin Sane to Ziggy Stardust to the Next Day to now Blackstar I have hit up every before now and after work that Bowie has produced and released under his moniker. Each album has a little something new for me to enjoy. I am not going to say his discography is perfect, because it most certainly is not, but I will say I enjoy it immensely. Blackstar is something that I was not expecting. The sounds and lyricism and atmosphere on this record was something that blew me away. Obviously my first taste of the record was the title track's spacey jazz influenced experimental sound that I was hoping that it would represent the overall record. Well it did, but not in the way I was expecting it to. This album is driven by the progressive and free jazz instrumentation that dominates the tracks on this record. But the spacey atmosphere of Blackstar never leaves. From the haunting delivery of Girl Loves Me and the wondrous Lazarus I see a very cohesive style surrounding the album. Something that doesn't always happen with these kinds of records. There are some expletives on this record which can be sometimes a turn off for me. But only if they feel forced. On here it feels like these tracks are completed by them. I did get lost between the tracks Girl Loves Me and Dollar Days. On the first listen I couldn't actually differentiate between the two tracks. I do not like that when that happens as it makes the album at that point feel too cohesive. I need to be able to distinguish between each track. However that doesn't make either track weak in any way shape or form. I enjoy the single power of Sue (Or in the Season of Crime) and it might be my favorite song, at least for right now, off of the album. I cannot stop listening to this record, and I need to because of other reviews. Excellent instrumentation, thoughtful lyrics, beautiful atmosphere... You cannot go wrong with that combination.

Blackstar receives a 8.9/10

Standout Tracks: Blackstar, Lazarus, Sue (Or in the Season of Crime), I Can't Give Everything Away

Weaker Tracks: I guess Dollar Days would be the only track I don't see myself listening a ton too.

If this were too be the last Bowie record... what a send off... Thats all I can say...

Enter the Domain - The Identity Matrix Domain

"I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on." - David Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just don't piss in his mouth or shove stuff in his dick. He tends to frown upon that.
The Identity Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote