Music Banter - View Single Post - Talent
Thread: Talent
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
I don't enjoy much conventional shredding, but I do like some music that is so stuffed with notes, that there simply isn't time for the notes to have much nuance.
I wouldn't necessarily say that such music authomatically has no soul and feeling. Such compositions can be quite exhilaratingly beautiful in their overwhelmingness.
As I said, different aesthetics.
I kind of see what you mean. I quite like the Chthonic album Bu-Tík for instance, and that album is pretty much overbearing wall of sound tactics most of the time. It is beautiful because of how it is composed and due to the sounds chosen to express said composition.

I'd still argue that it could be better if some other band covered the whole album and played it in a less robotic manner, with less sterile production. The guitarist is still very talented in my eyes, though, since he clearly puts his heart into the guitar solos.

I guess what my rambling boils down to is this: I still think talent is also about expression, but not very nuanced music can be good, which is separate from the issue of talent.

So am I saying it doesn't take a lot of talent (after my own definition thereof) to play extreme metal well? I guess so... Please don't hurt me!
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote