Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Prog looking forward, Grim?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #162 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Okay, I admit I got it wrong, but who exactly is Steve Morse, and why bring him into this discussion if he's not a prog head?
I don't know how to read that, you don't believe Steve Morse should be brought up in a Progressive Rock discussion? Let me think this one out... Steve Morse played guitar for Kansas, Dixie Dreggs, Deep Purple, Flying Colors* and a few others. Kansas is classified as Art Rock and Progressive Rock, and Flying Colors as is classified Prog according to Wikipedia. Being the Prog expert you are, with those kind of credentials Steve Morse has, there would be no doubt in your mind that he does have a place in a Prog discussion.

I brought up Steve Morse and Satch. I didn't bring them up so much as examples as Prog musicians, but for other reasons. Tributary Records brought up concert numbers. I used Satch and Morse as examples of musicians who play small venues. Imo it seemed to me that he lamented Prog bands don't stadium numbers, and play small venues. To me, it was just how things are. Some bands sell out football stadiums, and then next tour they are playing smaller venues like hockey arenas. Bringing them up had to do with concert numbers, and how imo that is true across the board whether they are Prog, Rock or what have you.

There are musicians and bands out there that for what ever reasons play small venues. It seems like the natural progression of things imo. Take The Beatles, for example: They started off in dives, worked their way up A class venues, then they sold out football stadiums, stop playing live, and ended playing on the rooftop of Apple's HQ.

* Flying Colors - Mask Machine (Official Music Video)

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote