Music Banter - View Single Post - The David Bowie Memorial Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 12:11 AM   #72 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
I really got into Bowie through an ex-GF of mine.
Our tastes are very different, but she mentioned she liked Bowie a few years ago. I knew some of his stuff but wasn't a real fan. I was surprised she liked him, gave Heroes another spin and ended up hooked.
I've been reccing her Blackstar since before Bowie's death. She was sceptical, saying that she usually dislikes new stuff. She also hardly listens to albums, instead preferring to listen to individual songs.
We ended up listening to Blackstar (and possibly crying) simultaneously, exchanging thoughts online, on the day his death became known. It was the first time she heard it.
She was moved by it at least as much as me, telling me that it was probably the best album she heard and the most profound listening experience she ever had. She kept asking, how someone does that. Knowing death is imminent, enduring it, making something like that. What can you say?
It probably gave him a push towards artistry, I know that it'd probably do that for me.

The album is pretty heartwrenching to listen to now. It's such a brilliant way to go out and now that the album is tied to his death it will really solidify his iconography (as if it needs that). I'm glad he didn't end on a Lulu.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote