Music Banter - View Single Post - Cello
Thread: Cello
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
stingo
Groupie

As has already been discussed, when people think of cello works, nearly always the first stop is Bach's Suite's for Unaccompanied Cello. While Casals brought modern attention to the work, I think the person most associated with the piece is Yo-Yo Ma. In fact, he (Ma) made Inspired by Bach, where he collaborated with artists from various disciplines, essentially making videos for each of the suites. I think it's OOP now, but it's well worth watching if you can find it. My favorite version of the suites is played by Ralph Kirschbaum and I think that recording can be found in its entirety on youtube.

Another performer/work pairing which has become all but synonymous is Jacqueline du Pre's interpretation of Elgar's Cello Concerto. Her opening is searing, channeling anger, melancholy and resignation and sorrow, making it (in my opinion) one of the most unforgettable moments in music. du Pre ended up losing her ability to play, and eventually her life at age 42 to multiple sclerosis. I think the best version of the piece is the recording she made with Sir John Barbirolli and is readily available.

Beethoven's Cello Sonatas (all 5 of them) are really good - no surprise considering the source. I have the set by Anne Gastinel (cello) and Francois-Frederic Guy (piano). I love how young French artists can make music written by a cantankerous German sound so good. As a side note, their version of the Brahms Cello Sonatas is quite good too.

John Tavener's The Protecting Veil (Stephen Isserlis, cello) comes to mind as a modern work that deserves a wider audience. It uses cellos to set up a sort of echo chamber, within which the soloist does his thing. The work is religious in nature as well, coming from Tavener's Russian Orthodox faith.

There's also the new breed of composer/performers like Julia Kent and Zoe Keating.

While Ma and Rostropovich are indeed great cellists, there's more out there than just their work - the fun is in the discovery of someone new (for me at least).
stingo is offline   Reply With Quote