Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #12156 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post

David Bowie - Never Let Me Down (1987)

It's pretty funny really: Bowie himself never liked this record much since it bookended a period in his life where he felt frustrated and unsatisfied, but it's precisely because so many dismiss it (including him) that I find it a compelling listen. There's some great late 80's poptimism going on here, and the Man Who Fell To Earth's magical white powder can definitely be found here sprinkled about, even if it isn't a game changer.

Tears For Fears - The Seeds Of Love (1989)

I periodically revisit this outing just to remind myself why it stays in my top ten albums of all time without being budged despite the always growing influx of new aquisitions: the "mood" of these songs and the huge arrangements are a wonder to behear. Big progressive rock influence everywhere yet the songs remain memorable and focused with some of the best production ever to boot. Every note played and word sung has a good reason to be there.
I'm in the camp that does not like NLMD, but that may change as I go through his discography with older, somewhat more discerning ears. I said somewhat! Leave me alone!

TFF album is absolutely one of the best of all time. They don't put one toe wrong on it, never mind a foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
The Seeds of Love is a superb album and I can almost guarantee you'd like it Plainview
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Yorke is absolutely right....and you can't go wrong with any TFF release really. I think a lot of people around here would tell you to check out Songs From The Big Chair if you like really melodic synth-pop with a bit of a rock edge. Beyond that, The Seeds Of Love is a more organic sounding "big" rock album (lots of varied instrumentation, more jazz influence, etc.) and both of the records that lead singer Roland Orzabal did under the TFF name afterward, 1993's Elemental and 1995's Raoul And The Kings Of Spain follow up on Seeds Of Love's sound with more alternative rock & trip-hop influences.
Or you could start with their greatest hits, Tears Roll Down...