Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #341 (permalink)
JGuy Grungeman
Primo Celebate Sexiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
BOOH is not a rock opera. It's not. It does not have a story, it is not acted out on stage, all the songs are separate. There is no way it's a rock opera. Put it in if you want, idgaf; but I disagree with every reason you make, and I have no idea what having sold so many million albums/seats has to do with it.
As a huge fan of Meat Loaf and a man who happens to have read part of the actual ROCK OPERA script and happens to know that the majority of the songs, if not all of them, area part of that STORY, I can tell a guy who hasn't even studied it that it's a rock opera, if not a soundtrack to a rock opera. You shouldn't say "it's not" and then end the point. That's no discussion. And it was acted out on stage multiple times before the album was made, and Jim Steinman is planning on bringing it back.

Bat Out of Hell is more than a rock opera to me. Before Meat Loaf, music was just some hobby and I wasn't too serious about it. I wasn't sure who my favorite band was. It switched a lot. After Bat Out of Hell and Hysteria, I joined music forums and discovered many new forms of music. It was because of those albums that I gained interest in finding greater albums. I gained love for rock operas. So please forgive me if I seem rude or butthurt, but taking the album off that list is similar to telling me I can't see the most important album in my life on a rock survivor thread. I know that wasn't your intention.

I have seen many websites and lists cite Meat Loaf as a rock opera, and that's just from three years. That is because I have been studying the album's history for writing articles.

And it has everything to do because Meat Loaf is far more an icon of rock than Jeff Wayne. At least Bat Out of Hell has stood the test of time enough for people today put it in their rock opera, 70's, hard rock lists when I have never seen Jeff Wayne in a list. And I used to go to a site where there was nothnig but lists and a forum. And I visited a lot of rock lists for recommendations. I really don't feel that Jeff Wayne is as important in the rock industry as Meat Loaf, especially since he has done a duet with one of the most famous people ever: CHER. Even if Cher sucks in some people's eyes, that's freakin' impressive.

The point was that he is an icon. Jeff Wayne was a one hit wonder. Meat Loaf had three hit albums and at least ten hit singles going from the 70's to 90s. I'm not saying Wayne can not be on since there are plenty of one-hit wonders. And if you like the album more, I'm fine with that. I don't mind replacing ANATO, since it's not really a rock opera. I included it because I've also seen plenty of people call that a rock opera, even some official critics. I'll admit, I don't think it is since there is no story whatsoever. I think it has rock opera influecnes but when push comes to shove it's the least deserving rock opera album to get that title. So, can we replace Queen II with ANATO?

But if you want to disagree, please don't sound so stern about it. I admit, I started it. And I apologize for any rude things I may have said or for causing discomfort for anyone. But it comes as a shock when an album like Bat gets kicked off smt.

Now, I condense many topics into one post to keep myself from flooding threads with this last statement... are we going to have a screamo ten?

Last edited by JGuy Grungeman; 01-16-2016 at 10:55 PM.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote