Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 05:09 AM   #2721 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: Townes van Zandt
Artiste: Townes van Zandt
Genre: Country
Familiarity: Only by reputation. One of my favourites, Steve Earle, is one of his proteges.
Recommended by: The Batlord. Yee-hah!

Expectations: Batty liked it, and he's a hard man to please when it comes to Country. To say nothing of Townes mentoring Earle. I assume I'm going to at least Love this.

1. For the sake of the song: Oh yeah, this is real Country. To Hell with your Travises, your Brookses and all the rest. Perfect, simple song that makes no apologies for being simple and honest. Just a guy and his guitar. The way it was meant to be.
2. Columbine: Obviously nothing to do with the shooting, as this was released in 1969, though it is a little chillingly coincidental when you look at the titles of the next two songs. Luckily though, back then Columbine was not a watchword for school massacre, and this song is just a simple love song it would seem.
3. Waitin' around to die: Getting a bit more teeth on this one, plus harmonica which is always cool.
4. Don't you take it too bad: This has a nice sort of swaying bluegrassy feel to it. Pedal steel too.
5. Colorado girl: Another great simple tune, this time nothing but his guitar.
6. Lungs: Think he may be bringing in electric guitar here, possibly steel too. Overtones of gospel here.
7. I'll be here in the morning: Nice song of reassurance. Makes a change from the love-em-and-leave-em idea in music generally. Like the bass work here.
8. Fare thee well, Miss Carousel: More uptempo and some great accordion? Oh and harmonica too. Still, there's something about this that somehow I just don't like as much as the other tracks.
9. (Quicksilver daydreams of) Maria: Sort of a waltz married to a Mexican feel on this. Really nice. Some lovely fiddle adds to this.
10. None but the rain: Sweet little downbeat closer.

End result: I can see why Earle rates this man so much. He's kind of part of the true heart of Country music, and as Batty found out, it ain't all cowpokes and songs about country girls. Great stuff.

So, Love or Hate? I'll have to give this one a Love.