Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you think of Chinese Democracy?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNtrivedNiHilism View Post
What I am trying to say to you or the point that I am trying to make Frownland, is that it doesn't matter that whoever is keeping GNR around, whether those people just want the nostalgia it brings them, is still a source of demand and it's been more than enough for GNR to give the fans at least something. Nostalgia. Genuine interest. It doesn't matter. If the demand is there. The band is relevant. When their tours begin to fail and people stop talking about GNR and nobody is throwing millions at them to make appearances, that's when I'll agree that they've become irrelevant. Because in most cases when a bands career reaches that point, guess what? They go away.
I'd say you're abusing the term "relevant" by tying it to "interest". It's a pretty nebulous word, but it tends to imply that, at least in a musical sense, an artist still has a creative affect on the world around them (i.e. other bands hear *Album A* and are so impressed that they incorporate that band's sound into their own). Appetite for Destruction might still be "relevant" for some retro glam/rock bands, but GNR stopped being relevant in any interesting sense of the word over twenty years ago.

If you just wanna say that people still like GNR, then fine, obviously they do, but who cares? People like lots of ****ty ****, even years after they should have stopped.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote