Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you think of Chinese Democracy?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Basil C. Thurston III
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNtrivedNiHilism View Post
Heard way worse 'comeback albums' from other bands. Also heard a lot better. Album for me had some enjoyable songs, If The World being my favorite and showcased that Axl could still use his voice in a powerful way.

But I'll let people keep talking about how a band isn't relevant anymore but somehow manages to pull in huge revenue with touring once in a blue moon. If people didn't care. Nobody would show up to the shows. It may have took Chinese Democracy a few good years to do it, but it's still a platinum selling record. So stick that in your know it all blow holes and spin on it.

The way people look at a bands relevance in the world here on the forum is just odd. Does anyone even know what it means and how to apply it to a band, or anything??? You don't think they have importance so you file them away in irrelevance? Doesn't make sense. Want an example of a proper way to apply irrelevance to a band? Poison. A huge band for a period in the 80's fizzled out in the 90's, then died slowly in the 2000's with spurts of success here and there before people stopped caring enough to keep them around. That didn't happen with GNR, in whatever incarnation Axl Rose resurfaced the band in. You just can't say a band isn't relevant anymore until the demand for them to tour or make any music it all is just plain and simple, gone. The figure of money thrown and Axl and Slash for this somewhat of a classic GNR reunion is ridiculously huge. Irrelevance does not bring forth a check like that folks. That is one hundred percent relevance right there.
GNR, the newer version, toured every year between 2011-2014, and sold very well, in fact being named touring act of the year by classic rock mag in 2012 (for 2011) if I recall correctly. The U.S. shows I went to during that period all sold out, and scalpers were getting paid serious bucks. The Euro tours sold out- almost every venue. So they have been "relevant" in regards to touring for the majority of the 2010s. "Blue moon" isn't correct, sorry.
Don't waste time arguing relevance- it's a meaningless term. has nothing to do with the quality of the music or the performance of it. Nada.
Basil C. Thurston III is offline   Reply With Quote