Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Watching A One-Man-Band Live Compelling?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
oscillate
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSymmetry View Post
I'd love to see Thy Catafalque's or Mirrorthrone's music played live, but it would be impossible for the artists behind those projects to do it alone. I know that some one-man-bands like Nine Inch Nails hire people to play live. Sadly, though, it's not financially feasible for most other artists.
You bring up a really good point. I'm a huge NIN fan and I know Reznor decided to get a band when he started playing live as opposed to just being alone with a guitar and a backing track. But, like you said, it's not always financially feasible, especially when musicians are starting out.

I'm personally more interested in what you guys think of that sort if idea: trying to recreate songs with dense arrangements, kind of like what Grimes and other electronic artists are trying to do, as opposed to the Ed Sheeran type of one man band.

I've never actually seen an act like that live, so I'd be interested to get perspectives from those of you who have. Is the energy high? I've watched a few videos of Grimes playing live and it just seems very, very awkward. The crowd seems to enjoy it, but if you compare it to artists that have backing bands it seems like doing it alone loses impact as it becomes more of a technical type of performance (as you see with Grimes doing a lot of microphone tricks and so on) as opposed to necessarily focusing on the songs.

Thoughts?
oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote