Music Banter - View Single Post - When bands don't play the song right...
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 PM   #105 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

The general consensus seems to be that you're right re Rundgren, but again that's one artiste. What about all the others that do acoustic, uptempo jazz (perish the thought!) or soul versions of their music? Surely they're allowed to do what they want with their own compositions. I mean, look at Springsteen; his versions of many of his songs, including "Rosalita" can vary wildly from concert to concert. It's the old adage: you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Basically, like I said in my wall of text, it's not that they're doing the songs wrong but differently, and some people like that and some don't. There's no real way to get too much common ground here, so I'm not entirely sure what (Rundgren aside) point you're trying to make here? You go to a gig, you may not enjoy it, but it doesn't entitle you to (like yer rich wan in your story) leave what amounts to an insulting note for the performer. I think that was bang out of order. I mean, nobody forced her to go to the gig at gunpoint, did they? Did they? It wasn't Texas, was it?