Music Banter - View Single Post - When bands don't play the song right...
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #136 (permalink)
Basil C. Thurston III
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
All of this nonsense to distract from the fact that you've lost this debate.
I lost? Dammit, I wasn't even aware it was a competition- I would have tried SO much harder. When do I start my vacation, kiddo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll yield to your experience of Bruce. I certainly have not seen him that many times (how do you know exactly how many though? Not about 50, or 70, but 72? Just wondering) however the fact remains that many artistes often go out of their way to change their songs live. Some see it as offering value for money, or a not-to-be-repeated experience. I have no problem with that.

As for that gig, maybe yes I jumped to conclusions but I must ask why you had to state that it was, and I quote, in a wealthy part of town. If that was not significant, why make the distinction? Why not just say a gig in such a place? Seems like you were trying to make a point that these people were rich, so excuse me for assuming that's where you were going with it.

Either way, rich or poor, there's still no excuse for that kind of rudeness and ungratefulness. Whether she liked the gig or not, without Rundgren she would never even have heard the music, so like it or not, she, and all his fans, actually owe something to the artiste, as well as vice versa.
Pretty easy to track- I got 72 ticket stubs in a scrapbook. Plus I can count that high.

I simply stated that because it's true, and it adds substance to the story line. It doesn't add context, so I agree it wasn't particularly useful in that regard. In my personal experience at that venue, the neighborhood locals do come out more often for shows there than other area venues-and it's not about price, it's not about better artists appearing there, it's just that it is literally a short walk for many of them. It's not often you see people show up for a show in a golf cart....and from appearances, many who dress up for shows there come across as wealthier than the average frownland. I mean, a three piece suit for the B-52's is a little much, eh?
But it does show us that making assumptions, well, you know how it goes, right...

As for the lady with the note, maybe it was rude, maybe it was a way for her to vent without causing a major scene. She got up from her seat, went to the bar, wrote the note, came back and handed it to the sound guy, then left the venue. I'd rather have her do that then scream out for the same thing and ruin the shows for others. Again, she was frustrated that she did not get what she paid for-whether out of ignorance or flawed expectation- and she wasn't alone in that regard, IMO. It's really a two way street- she needs Rundgren for entertainment, he needs her (and other fans) to finance his career and life.
Basil C. Thurston III is offline   Reply With Quote