Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Watching A One-Man-Band Live Compelling?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
oscillate
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I've done some small gig's using just setup backing tracks on my phone that I play guitar over. Everything is input into an amp or PA. Last summer I did a few of those types of little concerts out of my garage and at a few parties for my neighbors and friends. Recently I bought a Digitech Trio that has built-in drums and bass that will duplicate any rhythm you input into it with a few chord strums, but I doubt I'd ever use that live since it's a bit random. As for the impact of those kinds of performances, it's really more of a showcase for the individual artist, and if you're going into something like that with the mindset that you only care about that artist, then it can be a meaningful experience for the listener. Buckethead and Paul Gilbert are two examples that come to mind.
That makes sense. Approaching it as a separate experience from a full band performance or a pop star/dancer/whatever performance seems to be key. It's not an intimate acoustic performance, either, in most cases (especially in the videos you posted).

Whether or not it's a viable long-term live performance strategy, I'm doubtful. But for one-off performances or short tours, it makes sense. Context is key, it seems.
oscillate is offline   Reply With Quote