Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #516 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
Post-punk is a slower and more atmospheric form of rock music that borrows elements from punk rock, while art punk is literally an artsy form of punk. I can always tell the difference between the two, but art punk is less restricted than post-punk.
So we're putting post-punk and "art punk" into restrictive boxes, now? That defeats the entire purpose of the exercise. I'm sure if the post-punks were reading this they'd throw their instruments into a river out of frustration at being pigeon-holed. You can't call post-punk a defined genre when it includes bands like Gang of Four, PiL, Wire, Joy Division, and not to mention the No Wave scene. You've completely missed the point of what post-punk even is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
However, Television's debut album represents very well the post-punk sound, moving away from the sound of many Proto-Punk bands, which in general are more Garage-y. Plus, this was a very innovative album. Up until Marquee Moon was released, there was no artsy experimental punk album. Even The Idiot came out after Marquee. Based on those merits, I'm going to take it off of Proto-Punk. There's just too much different between most of Proto-Punk and Marquee Moon.
The second half of Fun House, Velvet Underground, Suicide (proto-punk without guitars), Patti Smith, and I'm sure many others. And again, post-punk doesn't really have a sound, so how could Television represent it? You're showing a simplistic view of both proto- and post-punk.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote