Music Banter - View Single Post - Twisted Sister Albums Review Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheLhix
Music Addict

Location: Under the keys of my keyboard like a troll under a bridge
Default Twisted Sister Albums Review Thread

I checked out the album review index. And I found an abomination, no twisted sister has been reviewed? My eyes must deceive me. Me being a flamboyantly terrible man I am, I saw it fit to give my crossdressing metal band a proper burial/review.

Under the Blade - (1982)(8/10) Personally believe this is their heaviest album in their small but decent discography. It has the angry, fast and nostalgic tone and instrumentals of what would be missed during the later day of their discography. Dee Snider's voice is weaker in this one that in his later efforts but still a powerhouse, before the scandals and self-serving ass ripping they gave to themselves, this album is well deserving as their second best I believe.
Favorite tracks: Under The Blade, Sin after Sin, Destroyer

You Can't Stop Rock And Roll - (1983)(7.5/10) Decent album, but it feels as if it were building to something. The vocals were stronger and more resonate from Dee and the instrumentals had seemed to have made a shift from the speedy sound they had, to a more over-the-top glammy or power sound. Lyrically it is distant from the previous effort but not sure in which direction it seems to be going in. I consider this a transition album, great but seems mildly confused.
Favorite Tracks: The Kids Are Back,We're gonna make it, The Power and Glory
Honorable Mention: You Can't Stop Rock And Roll This mention is due to how it will define later Sister sound and that it is overall a decent power song for the record. Fitting Title Song.

Stay Hungry - (1984) (9/10) With Sister's 1984 release I found exactly what they were building too. An Album filled with heavy horror-like memorabilia and power anthems. Dee Snider's voice has reached its magnum opus and torrents through with amazing resonance, instrumentals have kept the tone to complement it well. The most class Twister Anthems have spurned and spawned from this album that is equal parts grotesque and glammy. As well as being the most successful Album in the bands career.
Favorite Tracks: The Beast, Horror-Terria, I Wanna Rock, Burn in Hell
Terrible Tracks: The Price Pop-Metal Ballad so sappy it will give you diabetes. Make no mistake, while the lyrics of the song will come to signify what happens to our Crossdressers, the instrumentation and music is sap in the fourth degree.

Come Out and Play - (1985) (3/10) Y'know The Price? Consider this the incarnate of that in complete album form. Full Pop-Glam crap. Coming at a time where Dee was richer than ever, happier, and newly disgraced by destroying his bands image, the band sought for a new audience. Pop. Which Never came. its not even good pop, cover songs such as the single Leader of The Pack and typical 80s biker hunk videos to match. The album is a huge departure and attempt to fame-grab what they had seemingly lost. They failed to establish the strength they dismissed and proved Dee's comments correct on accident. In the middle of the decade, they managed to highlight some of its worst qualities in this album.
Favorite Track: None
Worst Track: Leader Of The Pack

Love Is for Suckers: (1987) (6.8/10) Redemption come too late. This album, while categorized by sappier and more romantic/sexual lyrics, retains much of the powerful and fast music of later-day Sister, as well with Dee's voice not being drowned in the glammy drivel of the previous effort entirely. Voice is strong, music is strong, Lyrics are on the weaker side. Overall, a pretty damn decent record. The primary issue of its commercial hardships is the failure and circumstances around the previous effort.
Favorite Tracks: Wake Up, Hot For You
TheLhix is offline   Reply With Quote