Music Banter - View Single Post - The Future of Prog looking forward, Grim?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #168 (permalink)
Tributary Records
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam101 View Post
I see prog alive and well, just in a different more modern form.

Plenty of great math rock bands and progressive metalcore bands about. That's what really does it for me.

It all comes under a blanket progressive term for me but I realise they obviously don't sound much like Tool, Opeth & Dream Theater, which is I suspect what OP is getting at here. I'm sure there are plenty of bands like that knocking around though paying homage to them under the radar. I just wouldn't know about them as it's not really my cup of tea.
Prog lacks a proper definition. The confusion lies in the title of progressive meaning it has to change. We all know what traditional Jazz or Reggae is. Funk, Soul, etc. Prog in a traditional sense did have it's formula grounded in the late 60's through the mid 70's. All the classic prog bands that people are still talking about had jazzy drums and a strong keyboard palate.

The modern prog is metal based, not jazz based. Complex metal is seen as prog, but it wouldn't have been seen as prog in the traditional sense put aside the 70's bands. It would be compared more to bands like UFO, Scorpions, Judas Priest or Sabbath. Metallica came along with complex metal that wowed people, but was a far cry from traditional prog.
Tributary Records is offline   Reply With Quote