Music Banter - View Single Post - Urbans Classic Albums No 1 Radiohead - OK Computer
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I don`t think a lot of people were aware of how much of a gamble this album was when it came out.Up till that point Radiohead were not that much of a big deal in the UK.Creep gave them success in the U.S. long before anyone in the U.K. payed any attention to them.The Bends did well but at the time they were just another britpop band looking for attention behind the Blur/Oasis war.
When this did come out britpop was down the sh*tter , most of the big bands like Oasis , Suede , Blur & Pulp released poor albums & were rife with substance abuse , Elastica had gone AWOL & most of the other bands were just releasing sub Jam/Smiths rubbish.One of the reasons I rate this album so highly was the way they distance themselves from all that & put out something that was fresh & innovative.I don`t think anyone refered to them as a britpop band after this came out.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote