Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #343 (permalink)
Key

I think it's about time to conclude my thoughts and feeling towards Fallout 4. And believe me, there are some surprises in here that even I am surprised that I thought of, but unfortunately, certain things do happen and thus certain opinions are made that aren't exactly agreeable. Let's get right to it, I guess.

So, Fallout 4. It's the sequel in a line of games that we've been waiting for for a long time, and honestly, the wait was worth it. Bethesda evidently did everything they could to make the game as good as it could get, and some parts of it although were not the greatest, it's still a great game in the end of it all. I've not always really been big into the stories of Fallout 4, but the story in this one was very well thought out and the fact that you could get different endings depending on which road you took was a really nice touch, as it did add a bit more depth to your gameplay. A lot of criticism about the story was mostly based on the fact that it's super cliche and something people have already seen before. In my opinion, so what? If the story idea is being recycled from other games, and it can still make the game great, what's the problem with that? Not every new game that comes out, no matter what company you are, will have a brand new idea every single time. I don't see an issue with the fact that the story is a bit cliche. It was good for what the game was going for and that's really all that's important in the long run.

The gameplay mechanics were also done very well in this one in relation to the previous games. I felt like the gun play specifically was very polished and felt much more responsive and immersive than the other games did. I remember playing Fallout 3 and was never really satisfied with the way shooting a gun worked. I remember always going into VATS because I could never really tell where my gun was going to shoot, and even if you made the shot, it never felt like it made much of a difference. It just felt wonky and thankfully, Fallout 4 fixed that. Hopefully in their next release, they will use the same mechanics as Fallout 4 for gun play specifically.

Another popular criticism of the game was the fact that the map seemed way too small and lazy. Again, I have to respectfully disagree with that. Although the map did seem a bit small at first, there was enough to do wherever you traveled that it really didn't feel like you weren't going to have something to do. In Fallout 3 and even New Vegas, you seemed to walk through the wasteland a lot with nothing in sight for miles. Fallout 4 changed that by making sure there was at least something to run into in a short distance of time, which is fine with me, because I like to spend more time looting buildings and finding guns and ammo and whatever else I was looking for at the time. So yeah, maybe I agree that the map did feel a little bit small, but the fact that there was so much to do made up for it. And man, there was a LOT to do. Also, I don't want people to think that walking the wasteland for countless hours is necessarily a bad thing. I just find it refreshing that they sort of went a new route with the way Fallout 4 had more to offer in the wasteland as opposed to the other games.

Now, onto the part people are going to hate reading, my personal criticisms about the game. I'll try to keep them short and sweet and i'll even bullet point them for easy reading:
  • Graphics were not up to par to what I thought they were going to be. DIdn't really ruin the experience as a whole, but I miss the dark green hue of Fallout 3. Fallout 4 just seems way to bright and sunshiny.
  • Glitches upon release were a real problem. Especially for PC users, like myself. It was disappointing when I got the game and I immediately ran into game breaking glitches that required me to restart my game multiple times.
  • After 50 hours of gameplay, I didn't really feel much urge to keep playing. Fallout 4 is great and all, but it didn't feel like it had that depth like Fallout 3 and New Vegas had. Maybe it has more to do with the fact that it didn't really feel like a survival RPG like the previous games felt like. It felt more like the game was focused on making sure you knew that they knew how to make guns work in the game.
  • The whole idea behind the crafting system should have been scrapped before it even started. I get it, they wanted to try out a new mechanic, and even though it worked for what it was trying to do, I really don't feel like going from settlement to settlement to make sure that the people roaming those parts are safe. It really takes away from the fun of essentially being alone in the wasteland. Which brings me to my next point...
  • In Fallout 3, and New Vegas, there was a big point to make about being alone in the wasteland and the game really wanted to test you and make sure you knew that you were the only one left, give or take a few people that you'd run into. In Fallout 4 however, I felt like even though there was a nuclear holocaust, a lot of people still somehow survived. I mean...there are cities filled with people, and to me, that doesn't really strike me as post-apocalyptic. Maybe that's just me, but hey, I did say it is my own criticism.

So, what's my final rating for Fallout 4? If I were to rate it, it'd get a 3/5 for me, which to some may seem disappointing, but the game didn't really offer what it promised it would, and although the game wasn't the biggest disappointment of the year, it just felt like the essentials for a Fallout game were no longer evident and I feel like Bethesda sort of went the easy way out and wanted to make a game just to say they made a game. Here's hoping to a brighter future though, because Fallout 4 definitely did do some things right, but after 50 hours of gameplay, I don't see myself going back to it anytime soon.