Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #11017 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

There is no greatest of all time. There's a couple dozen or so that will always be included in the debate. DSOTM is one of those IMO.

Overrated / Over-hyped, pffft. Semantics I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to use age as leverage - just saying that it does kinda color things from both sides of the coin.

Listening to an album for the first time that's already been around for 25+ years, and already gained a cult like status - with people telling you it's the greatest of all time - is not the same as listening to it when it first came out and was just another album at the time. But over the next couple of years just exploded. Neither experience is better or worse, just different.

And ya, it is a mellow record. You get thoroughly stoned, put on a red light, and then listen to it from start to finish.

Before I'd heard the album, or even knew about Pink Floyd, I heard Money on AM radio. Me and my friends were convinced it was a black group because of the funky vibe of the song. Was pretty blown away to find out it was Lilly white Brits.

And has there ever been a more successful song that's mainly in 7/4 time?

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote