Music Banter - View Single Post - The Philosophical Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #182 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
That's an interesting mix of ingredients. I briefly googled him just now and he seems quite acclaimed. Can you recommend one of his books?
His best is clearly "Chapayev and Void" aka "Buddha's Little Finger" aka "Clay Machine Gun".
There's a lot of philosophy there you'll enjoy, but I'm not sure you'll be interested in the whole background of the october revolution/post-soviet reality.
Other great novels you might enjoy are "The Life of Insects" (allegorically comparing certain types of people to different insects, but with a uniquelly fun and surreal twist) and "The Sacred Book of the Werewolf" which mixes Chinese mythology, a pinch of Japanese furry erotica (not interested in it as well, but it's used pretty hilariously) and zen.
His short stories and novellas are also pretty cool.
You'll like "The Yellow Arrow". Quite short and a powerful allegory for the human condition.
There's also the novel "Babylon" aka "Generation Π" aka "Homo Zapiens", which looks at the world of advertising and politics from a shroomy angle, but this one might be a little too "Russian". Although some of my German friends loved it, so who knows...