Music Banter - View Single Post - Equipment set up and alternatives
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Establish exactly what it is you'll be doing.

If you're going to be producing and recording your own electronica, you'll need very little more than an audio interface, one nice microphone, and some studio monitors.

If you're going to be recording a full band, you'll need a room in which an amplifier can be turned up loud, or a kit hit hard, and you'll also need a selection of microphones, both dynamic and condenser, that will suit recording those instruments.

Alternatively, if you're intending on sequencing all of your drum parts using a library like Superior Drummer, then in that situation you could actually use an Amplifier VST like BIAS, Guitar Rig, Amplitube, or something similar, and you wouldn't need to mic up a real cabinet - although opinions differ on whether this offers as good a recorded result.

My advice would be to get some nice studio quality headphones and a good drum library, along with a guitar and a bass, and record/mix something using those, before trying to do too much else with real instruments. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches and develop a lot of skills you can then apply to real gear mic'd up in a room once you move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote