Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metal Education Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild7Dustr
Along with that, I'd like to mention Nile and see what you guys might think their "style" is.As far as I'm concerned, Nile should be called "Egyptian Metal", ya know?
Nile is awesome, so I have to give you respect for liking them, but they play Death Metal with Middle Eastern progressions in it. They are influenced by Egypt's epic history and music, but they aren't "Egyptian Metal". That is overclassification

to fidelityfiend: these are all my own opinions, you can them what you will (whether or not you're right is another matter ) but to me Anthrax is Thrash, Dio is Power, Savatage as a Progressive/Thrash (depending on the record), Voivod has some Industrial leanings but I can't really pin them down and as for Clawhammer I have never heard them. I'll check them out though.

to UrbanHatemonger: I'll consider it. When I have time that is...stupid Junior Research Paper

to cardboard adolescent: I love Math and Tech and all that, but to me it's an extension of Prog. I'll definitly consider including it for version 2.

to The Overlord: It's genre's. Not sub genres. Metal is a style. Death/Thrash/Grind/Doom are all genre's. I agree that over catogorization kills it after a bit, but some basic listings helps.

to itchytasty: Animosity calls themselves "deathcore". It's a pity too, cause they're quite good.

to half_baked87:Hot Topic isn't making money of Metal. They're making money off of music that pretends to be metal.

I'm already beginning work of Version 2 which will include more history on each genre and more of the above mentioned. Look for Grind, Math, and others to be appearing