Music Banter - View Single Post - Aesthetics as it Pertains to Contemporary Music
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
That's been on my mind since this morning. Just because a sucky person likes certain music doesn't mean the music sucks. I know you know that but considering how much you know about music it's painful for me to think that you're still suffering, even at the heart of something you obviously have an incredibly deep love for. You gotta past this, man. I don't think it's about studying. I really think it's like I said at the get go. Budweiser, AC/DC, and a trashy woman. That's my prescription, son.
*Stretches out on the therapist's sofa*

Well you see doc, my real beef was my six years of servitude at a mega-corp's retail hell in a ghetto just outside of NYC. I was assaulted for 8 hours a day by a bombardment of "Now That's What I Call Music!" over a tinny MUZAK PA. The same 7-8 songs would loop endlessly for months at a time. Christmas was the worst with what seemed like a direct oscillation between "Simply Having a Wonderful Chistmastime" and Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You".

8 hours of 2-minute long saccharine-soaked-country-tinged-radio-fodder drove me to the very limits of my sanity.

When I finally released myself from my own prison and started my career, I channeled all that scared cerebral tissue into a noise piece which served as a representation of my six years of psychological torture. I called it 5' 50" of Pop.

I superimposed 100 music videos by the worst offenders from the MUZAK station, (Daughtry, Nickelback, Rob Thomas, Backstreet Boys, Bieber, Colbie Caillat, Amy Grant, Taylor Swift...) and made one colossal explosion of Pop noise.

It premiered in Buffalo NY in 2013.

As great of an exercise as it was, the shell shock of those six years will take some serious time to heal. Hyperintellectualizing my approach to pop is my way of handling it with surgical gloves.

For the curious, here's the piece. (Appropriately, Warner Music has censored it for view outside of YouTube, so you'll have to view it at YouTube.com.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote