Music Banter - View Single Post - Aesthetics as it Pertains to Contemporary Music
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I see that translates as "3 yards and 2 inches of Pop," for those who use metric that converts to "2.7940000000000005 meters of Pop." Is there any significant to that length that meant something to you? Like the distance between you and the the speaker that pumped out Muzak or Pop music you didn't like?

I really don't care about any of those Pop artist you struggle with so much, in fact I didn't recognize any of those songs. I can't say I absolutely hate Pop (as in Top 40). I don't want any boundaries to swear off a genre. Although there are genre I don't get into because there is so much to hear and so little time to hear it all. I think of not listening to what I dislike as more as having boundaries or parameters. Not bothering with stuff I don't like leaves me more time to concentrate on music I like.

I might not like Pop because it's cliché, but there is other stuff I don't like because how the fans act. I somewhat sympathize with you. But it's not Pop music, I just can ignore that. I don't care for Tom Waits. It goes back to some Tom Waits fanboy I met — in real life and before I joined this forum. He was so pretentious, and dismissive of other people's taste in music. I thought well I don't want to be like that. I don't know if an artist can be over-rated by one person's opinion but I didn't find Tom Waits as good as he made it out to be.

For me not caring even a farthing about Tom Waits is like liberating myself from all those trite things music fans, or album collectors say and do. In fact I don't like to talk about my opinion of Tom Waits. I figure statically there should be some TW fans here, and I don't want offend them. In fact I don't like to say who I dislike, because fans identify so much with who they like they take it as a slight against them.
More silly bull****. You should like music because you like it, and you should not like it because you don't like it. Not liking something because of some ******* is just reactionary bull****. You may very well be depriving yourself of music you might otherwise like just because you thought some douchebag was an *******. Why should I even have to say this ****? It should just be common sense.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote