Music Banter - View Single Post - Need Mentor
Thread: Need Mentor
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
TheLhix
Music Addict

Location: Under the keys of my keyboard like a troll under a bridge

I will assist in what I can. I agree with tore and the others, there are better ventures to find better quality advice, as well attempting to dig deep into your own perception and practice would be worthwhile. One thing we forget though, is that its difficult to learn from nothing and not all people had the clues of where to look. Even if tutorials are around, some guidance might be of assistance to the lad, but I highly doubt you will get a mentor in a production industry. Its understood that it is rather difficult to make money off production as well, giving away all specific tips and tricks that make a individuals production is not good for business. I am a amateur and have only been working at this for a little under a year myself.

I am currently doing most of my production with a Yamaha e443, DRV100 cardi unidirectional mic and Cockos reaper software. (Cheap setup, but its works well for what I have and is very beginner friendly)

I would suggest firstly testing your designated area of recording for acoustics with your own ear. While Tore suggested good programs for doing so, I find in my own experience (what little it is) that using your own ears as guidance will work. Reflect and analyze before your record, during the recording and after the recording. Your ears will be training while you do this which will assist in other production ventures and it can make for an accurate and clear recording sound if practiced and done enough.

I would also suggest that you look for cheap equipment. Do your own research for yourself before throwing your money and find something that is reliable but won't break the bank (For example, my entire setup isnt much before a few hundred dollars with some research and bargain hunting) it doesnt have all the bells and whistles or the very very top of the line sound you would get if you broke the bank, but it gets the job done and produces a nice sound. As well, this will also train you to work on your technical skills by using what you have and producing something truly great.

While virtual instruments are no comparison to the real thing, they serve the purpose and can work in a pinch. (AKA, dont break your wallet) I would also suggest that in your research you look at uses for virtual and physical instruments, so you can get a wider understanding of the technicality, industry and sound behind them.

Overall, what tore mentioned is relatively in depth and helpful. I urge you though, to focus on the precision of your own ears and abilities and perform the work of your own research.

What you need to research:
Low cost and effective equipment
Acoustic/Acoustician method
Virtual instruments vs real ones
Ear Training
Low cost and effective production software

I say this for it will give you the feel necessary for the industry and allow you to test if you like this before you get to heavily indepted to it. It will also hone your skills and your perception, without the need for a mentor.
TheLhix is offline   Reply With Quote